Sixteen years after its launch, Facebook has made strides toward Zuckerberg’s goal of connecting the world. But it has also made some huge missteps which landed it in hot water with a number of governments.
But let us not forget that Facebook has seen unprecedented success by amassing more than 2.4 billion people worldwide who actively use the platform to share updates, obtain information and connect with new people.
In South Africa, Facebook is the largest social media platform and is used by 54% of the online population, followed by LinkedIn at 18% and Instagram at 9%.
Here are some other facts that you might not be familiar with:
- Facebook also owns WhatsApp, Messenger and Instagram.
- Facebook users alone watch around 100 million hours of video each day.
- It’s the second-most popular site worldwide, behind Google.
- There are more than 70 million businesses with a Facebook page.
- Facebook’s advertising revenue was nearly $40 billion in 2018. Imagine what it would be this year?
- Facebook is second only to colossus Google in worldwide digital ad revenue.
- On average, people access Facebook eight times a day.
- In 2020, we expect more people to have mobile phones than running water or electricity at home.
People are getting used to searching for business as much on Facebook as they do on Google.
Therefore, we believe that all businesses big and small should have a “updated” presence on Facebook. “Updated” account refers to a page that is updated on a weekly basis, this not only show visitors that you are a successful business, but that you also take your social media presence seriously.
Facebook is also a great way to fostering “social” word-of-mouth.
With so many people asking for referrals and business information from friends and family on Facebook, as business owners you should ensure that someone can easily tag or mention you on Facebook when your business springs to mind!
Do you think Facebook is still a force to be reckoned with?
We think so….
Want to take your social media marketing to the next level- contact us
Have a look at our social media packages here
Why not check out our FREE performance calculator?